Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Relay for Life

Tonight is the Relay for Life event here in Memphis.
I'm walking for 12 hours beginning at 6pm.

Everyone has a story of how cancer has affected their lives.

UNFORTUNATELY, right?

It's not just a cancer sucks so I'm walking for twelve hours type situation.

  I'm walking in memory of a dear, sweet family friend who unfortunately didn't beat the disease.

Sadly, she was misdiagnosed.
And I can't help but think that had there been more research, she wouldn't have been misdiagnosed in the first place.

You know those people who, when you think about them, you just smile?

That was Suzan.

She was incredibly supportive of me and my family. 

She was an amazing wife and mother.

She fought.  She fought really hard.
She smiled the whole time.

I have never seen anyone be able to do that.
Lord knows I would be under a rock.

But not Suzan.  Heck. No.
She was brave, loved life, and continued to make everyone's day a little brighter.  

I still think of Suzan and smile.
And every step I take between 6pm tonight and 6am tomorrow will be in her memory.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney, I was just checking out your blog and really enjoyed this post. I'm involved in the cancer community and I was hoping you could email me back when you get the chance -emilywalsh688 (at) gmail.com- Thanks : )

    Emmy

    ReplyDelete